Oh how I just love summer. Relaxing, crafting, spending time with my kids and….Strawberries! They bring back such fond memories of my childhood. I remember when I was a little girl, my grandparents would take me out to the strawberry fields every year and we would pick fresh strawberries. I remember putting them in my little green basket and how sweet they tasted. Just perfect! Theres nothing like fresh strawberries in the summer to keep you feeling refreshed.
Unfortunately, that strawberry field is no longer in use and the nearest field to pick is almost an hour away. We should probably make the trip sometime though. It is definitely an experience for Florida kids who are only used to city life!
The other morning, while everyone else was sleeping in. I decided it was a great time to make donuts. Of course, that didn’t last too long once everyone got a whiff of these in the oven. I made a full dozen and they were gone within the day. Even the dog stole one from the counter!!!
Yes, they are that good!
Ingredients – Donut Batter
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp white vinegar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
Ingredients – White Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
Ingredients – Pink Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp strawberry preserves
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray your donut pan with a non-stick cooking spray that contains flour.
- Add white vinegar to milk to form a buttermilk substitution.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add buttermilk substitution, eggs and butter. Stir until well mixed.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of strawberries.
- Fill each donut ring about 2/3 (do not top off).
- Bake 8 minutes, remove from oven and leave donuts in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from donut pan and cool on wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine white glaze ingredients; powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Dip each donut into the glaze and hold above your bowl to allow the excess to drip off.
- Place glazed donut on wax paper or baking sheet
- Allow 10-15 minutes for the glaze to set.
- In another medium bowl, combine your pink glaze ingredients; powdered sugar, milk, strawberry preserves and diced strawberries. Mix well.
- Gently spoon your red glaze over the white glazed donuts and allow to set.
* Makes 12 donuts